Several weeks ago Mr. Marvelous and I bought this bench to add additional seating to our kitchen table. I’ve always wanted bench seating and this bench was the right color, fit, and was very affordable. The cushion fabric, however, was sort of a yawn. As you see from above, it put Fred Thomas right to sleep!
**Update** For those who inquired on the source of the bench, it is from here. 🙂
I fell in love with this fabric by Liz Claiborne Home.
Close-up of the fabric detail, photos do not really do it justice, it has a slight quilted texture and it is soft as butter. The soft blues and greens are perfect for our kitchen.
I began the project by turning the bench upside down and identifying the screw holes that were holding the bench cushion onto the bench itself.
One by one, I unscrewed nine screws and then was able to pop the cushion right off.
I cut my fabric, approximately 6″ wider and longer than the cushion itself so that I would have plenty of fabric to fold over the corners of the bench. I used a staple gun to attach the new fabric to the cushion pad, placing staples approximately ever 1.5″ inches around the perimeter.
I trimmed the corners with scissors to get rid of excess fabric, which made the corners easier to fold and staple in place.
After that, I was able to put the cushion back on the bench and replace my screws. VIOLA!
Looks great with our kitchen table and adds much more visual interest than the plain cream fabric did.